Is diet coke your dirty little secret?
For many healthy people out there Diet Coke is treated as ‘Empty Calories’ compared to the traditional office cake that might appear in your work office from time to time. But why do so many people view Diet Coke as a ‘GUILT FREE’ treat?
While drinking Diet Coke seems healthy and o.k enough to some people (while watching the handsome guy on the T.V advert) an alarming number of studies show the complete opposite. If you didn’t know already Diet Coke contains an ingredient called Aspartame which is basically toxic to your nervous system. Last year Dr. Helen Hazuda professor of medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio found “Diet Coke may well be free of calories, but not of consequences”
So before you even think of opening that next can of Diet Coke, think about these consequences:
1. BAD SKIN: Diet Coke lowers your pH levels, which can cause acne, and make your skin look lifeless. We need a high level of alkalinity for our bodies to be healthy and expressed in our glowing complexion, explains Dr. Jeanette Graf, author of Stop Aging, Start Living: The Revolutionary 2-Week pH Diet. As Dr. Graf told us recently, “If there’s one thing you should never consume, it’s soda. Soda is an extreme acid-forming substance which will lower your pH level dramatically.”
2. MOOD CHANGES: The mood and food connection is ever rising, and Aspartame in Diet Coke can really effect people with anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder. Aspartame is also on an EPA list of potentially dangerous chemicals contributing to neurotoxicity.
3. WEIGHT GAIN: Oh yes, we actually gain weight from Diet Coke. In two studies conducted by the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, those “who said they consumed two or more diet cokes a day, experienced waist circumference increases that were 500% greater than those who were non-users of diet coke.”
4. DIABETES & HEART DISEASE: When waist circumference increases, this contributes to diabetes and heart disease, which a 2010 study in the Journal of General Internal Medicine confirmed.
5. SLUGGISH KIDNEYS: Diet Coke may also interfere with the kidneys, found the Harvard Nurse’s Study, which reported a 30% drop in kidney function with just two servings of Diet Coke each day.
6. ASPARTAME & THE CANCER LINK: Aspartame is “generally recognized as safe” by the FDA in America while substantial data has shown it’s link to cancer. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) cautions against Aspartame because it’s poorly tested, and contains three well recognised neurotoxins. Aspartame was found to increase cancer risk if exposure begins in the womb, reported a study at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center. And various studies have linked lymphoma and tumors in rats. They don;’t tell you that on the advert do they.
STILL TEMPTED BY THAT CAN OF DIET COKE??